«

»

Print this Post

Highlights of Meetings in 2005

December 2005

  • Footpath 9 – at end of Thrupp Lane, leading to cycle way: A number of Councillors walked this path with officers from the Oxfordshire County Council, the Vale District Council and the police. The path has been listed on the Designated Footpath Map since 1973 as a BOAT (Byeway open to all traffic). This allows cars to use the path, and evidence has to be found to justify a change of designation to a footpath or bridleway. The Parish Council is looking back through the old records to see whether any suitable evidence can be found.
  • RWE npower – Planning Application: The Parish Council has agreed a statement expressing its concern that RWENpower has not withdrawn the application in view of the strong public position. This statement has been sent to the Oxfordshire County Council and the press.
  • Highway Work: As you will have noticed, work has commenced on repair work throughout the Parish.
  • Village Shop: The Parish Council is still interested in finding someone to run the local shop. If you know anyone who is interested please contact Mr Brian Mott.
  • Dumping of Rubbish, Shaw’s Copse: Does anyone know who has dumped the remains of a patio at the gate to the railway at Shaw’s Copse? This gate is required by the railway in cases of emergency and action needs to be taken against those who have dumped the rubbish.

November 2005

  • Great Western Rail Franchise – Stakeholder Consultation Document: The Parish Council understands that the Department for Transport is expected to make an announcement on the award of the franchise on 21 December 2005.
  • Development, Church Road: Concerns have been expressed about the height of the new building. The DC Enforcement Monitoring Officer has checked the building with the approved plans and is satisfied that the work is being done correctly
  • Village Shop: The Parish Council is still interested in finding someone to run the local shop. If you know anyone who is interested please contact Mr Brian Mott.
  • Noise Nuisance, Culham: The DC Environmental Health Department is keeping an eye on the noise levels from the motocross at Culham. The Officers also wish to be kept informed of nuisance motorcyclists in the Parish. Please let me know of any problems and I will ask for help.
  • Highway Work – In the last report I indicated that the footway on Stonhouse Crescent was not on the current list. This is not correct, and repair work will be undertaken.
  • Abingdon Village Study: many of you commented on highway improvements when an exhibition was held in the Village Hall earlier this year. The Parish Council has now looked at the final report and is pleased with all the points picked up. It is going to review the recommendations in six months time to make sure action is taken.
  • Bus Services: The Parish Council has asked for a local exhibition on changes which might take place when Radley is on a Premium Route .
  • Village Gateways: Village gateways are going to be installed by the village nameplates in Radley Road and by Sandford Lane .
  • Trees – Church Road: The OCC has inspected the trees and is arranging for the trees which are a danger to the public to be cut back.

October 2005

• Additional Street Lighting, Lower Radley: It has been agreed to place the additional light on the road to Lower Radley near the area where the road divides. This will coincide with updating of existing lighting throughout Lower Radley.
• Village Shop: The Parish Council is still interested in finding someone to run the local shop. If you know anyone who is interested please contact Mr Brian Mott.
• Highway Work – repair work should commence shortly on repairs to the following areas:
Footway, Church Road
Road Surface, Audlett Drive/Twelve Acre Drive
Footway, Lodge Hill
Footway, Top end of Sugworth Lane
Unfortunately, the footway on Stonhouse Crescent is not on the current list, but Parish Council understands it has worked its way to the top of the list for future repairs.
The Parish Council appreciates that the condition of Thrupp Lane is poor, and is pressing the OCC Highways Department to undertake repair work.
• Hedges/Tree Branches: Please watch growth over footways – with the darker nights overgrown hedges and overhanging trees case problems for pedestrians.
• Footpath 9 – at end of Thrupp Lane, leading to cycle way: The Parish Council is concerned about the ongoing problem of dumping of burnt out cars in this area, and has requested a joint meeting with interested authorities, such as police, Oxfordshire County Council Field Path Officer, Environment Agency, District Council to see if a solution can be found.

September 2005

  • RWE npower Planning Application: The Oxfordshire County Council (OCC) has delayed consideration of the planning application until January 2006. The Parish Council has agreed to talk to its application at the OCC Planning Committee.
  • Greater Western Rail Franchise: The Department of Transport is now considering responses and where changes to the franchise specification are justified it will seek to implement these with the new franchisee.
  • Noise Nuisance – Culham Motocross: Mr Neil Irwin , the organiser of the Motorcross events, attended the Parish Council meeting in September, and there was a useful discussion. The Parish Council is going to be kept informed of the dates of events, and these will be published.
  • Caretaker/Cleaner: No-one has expressed an interest in the posts of Caretaker and Cleaner for the Sports Pavilion. Do you know of anyone who may be interested – please help us to find someone.
  • Vandalism to the Sports Pavilion: The insurance company has now met the majority of the cost of repairing the sports pavilion following the vandalism which occurred over a year ago. The Parish Council continually asks the police what action the police are taking in relation to this, but so far we do not know if the offenders have been interviewed.
  • Additional Street Lighting, Lower Radley: It is likely the OCC will provide an additional light in Lower Radley for the safety of pedestrians and cyclists. A site has yet to be agreed.
  • Traffic – Sugworth Lane : The Parish Council is passing the queries raised by the residents of Sugworth Lane to the OCC.
  • Village Shop: The Parish Council is still attempting to find someone to run the local shop. If you know anyone who is interested please contact Mr Brian Mott.

August 2005

  • Co-option of Parish Councillors: Mr Guy Rogers has been co-opted on to the Parish Council to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of Mr Richard Gilbert.
  • Car Park, Church Road: The Parish Council is still trying to obtain funds from the Oxfordshire County Council towards the cost of resurfacing the car park, and is pursing this in relation to the use by children at the local primary school.
  • RWE npower Planning Application: The Parish Council held an Extraordinary Meeting of the Parish Council on the 4 August 2005 to determine its views on the RWEnPower planning application. The meeting was attended by over 30 members of the public. The Parish Council has submitted its comments on the application, strongly objecting to it. The Parish Council has agreed to make a donation to Save Radley Lakes group which will go towards the cost of running the exhibition held at the Village Hall.
  • Greater Western Rail Franchise: The Parish Council understands that the Oxfordshire County Council is extremely concerned at the proposals to cut the rail services and has opposed the proposals. In addition, the Leader of the Council has written to the Secretary of State and the Deputy Prime Minister objecting to the cut back of services in Oxfordshire. South Oxfordshire and the Vale of White Horse District Councils also wrote in opposition to the proposals.
  • Noise Nuisance – Culham Motocross: Mr Neil Irwin, the organiser of the Motorcross events, will attend the Parish Council meeting in September.
  • Caretaker/Cleaner: The Parish Council is still searching for a Caretaker and Cleaner for the Sports Pavilion. Please let me know if you are interested in either post.
  • Residents of Sugworth Lane are concerned about the increased use of the road by people wishing to avoid the humps in Kennington. The Parish Council is going to discuss this at its September meeting.

July 2005

  • Village Shop: You will have seen that the old building has now been demolished. The Parish Council is still pursing the possibility of finding a tenant for the village shop when the new premises are available.
  • Lakes Planning Application: The Parish Council has received the RWE npower planning application. RWE npower held an exhibition in the village on Thursday 28 July 2005 and a meeting is being held at Didcot Power Station on Tuesday 2 August 2005. An Extraordinary Meeting of the Parish Council is being held on Thursday 4 August 2005 at 7.30 pm in the Village Hall, when the Parish Council will determine the comments it is going to make on the application. Members of the public are welcome to attend this meeting and there will be an opportunity for the public to make comments before the formal meeting commences.
  • Railway Bridge, Lower Radley: Parish Council is anxious about the safety on this bridge for pedestrians and cyclists. Oxfordshire County Council has indicated that there are many more urgent requirements and that the provision of a footbridge will not be possible in the foreseeable future. Parish Council would welcome views of the public and possibly a petition?
  • Greater Western Rail Franchise: The Parish Council has agreed to follow up its concerns on possible cuts to the Radley service with Oxfordshire County Council public transport department.
  • Noise Nuisance – Culham Motocross: The Parish Council has invited representatives of the event organisers to attend a Parish Council meeting and a letter is being sent to the farmer on whose land the events are held.
  • Trees, Church Road: Oxfordshire County Council is following up the concerns about trees along Church Road.
  • Best Kept Village: Radley came fourth in the Large Village class of the Best Kept Village Competition behind Steventon, Blewbury and Marcham. This is the first time we have been this high – so we are on the way up! Many thanks for all your help.
  • Caretaker/Cleaner: Radley Parish Council has agreed that it needs both a caretaker and cleaner for the Sports Pavilion. Details of the two posts are now available. If you are interested in either post, please let the Clerk know.

June 2005

  • Village Shop: The Parish Council still needs to have your views on the closure of the Village Shop and whether you consider a shop is required in the village.
  • The RWE nPower planning application has not yet been received from Oxfordshire County Council. The Parish Council endorsed its view that a public meeting should be held to give the residents of Radley to put forward their views. The date will be announced when the planning application has been received and the deadline for the response is known.
  • vacancy has occurred for a Parish Councillor and the formal notice has been posted. If you are interested in becoming a Parish Councillor, please let the Clerk know by 14 July 2005.
  • Greater Western Rail Franchise: Recent publicity about reduction in train services is of great concern to the Parish Council, and an approach is going to be made to the Strategic Rail Authority (SRA). Details of the franchise replacement and service plans are available from the SRA. Make your views known.
  • Garden Competition: Plans are going ahead for the Garden Competition on Saturday 9 July 2005. Get your gardens in order!

May 2005

  • Mr Brian Mott has been elected as Chairman of the Parish Council for 2005/2006. Mr Denis Standen has been elected as Vice-Chairman for the same period.
  • Village Shop: The Parish Council needs to have your views on the closure of the Village Shop and whether you consider a shop is required in the village.
  • RWE npower is going to submit a planning application to fill the last lakes in Radley. The Parish Council will be holding a public meeting to obtain your views. The date will be announced when the planning application has been received.
  • vacancy has occurred for a Parish Councillor and will be advertised shortly. If you are interested in becoming a Parish Councillor, please let the clerk know.

April 2005

  • PC Nigel Broomfield, the new Area Beat Officer, attended the Parish Council meeting. He confirmed that he would be continuing the Police Surgeries – 21 May, 16 July and 10 September, 12.15 to 1.15 pm in the Village Hall.
  • Village seats: Two seats have been put at the top of the road to Lower Radley, and a further seat will be put at Pebble Hill once the seat has been handed over to the Parish Council by Radley College.
  • MotoCross: It has been reported to the Parish Council that the MotoCross at Culham is causing a lot of noise nuisance in the village. If you wish to complain about this, please write to the South Oxfordshire District Council, Environmental Health Department, Council Offices, Benson Lane, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford, Oxon OX10 8HQ.
  • Sports Pavilion, Gooseacre: Cleaner/Caretaker required. Please contact the Clerk for details.

March 2005

  • PC Nigel Broomfield has been appointed to replace PC Jeff Wheeble. It is hoped that he will attend the Parish Council meeting on the 28 April 2005.
  • Parish Council is concerned that questionnaires have not been circulated in the village. Your views are required by the 15 April 2005, and can be given through www.southeast-ra.gov.uk/southeastplan
  • Village seats: Oxfordshire County Council (OCC) has agreed to the placement of village seats – two at the Foxborough Road/Church Road/Lower Radley turn, and one by the bus stop at Pebble Hill. A student from Radley College is designing and building the seat for Pebble Hill.
  • Street lighting: The Parish Council is going to discuss the provision of improved lighting in Stonhouse Crescent to try to prevent the car thefts which are taking place there. If anyone has any knowledge of these, it would be helpful if information could be given to one of your Parish Councillors or to the police.
  • Condition of footways: OCC has obtained some money to improve the footway in Church Road – the Parish Council has asked for clarification on which part of Church Road will be covered, as the area the Parish Council has been pressing to be repaired is the footway between St James Road and St James Terrace, which covers both Foxborough Road and Church Road. In addition, OCC is hoping that it can improve the footway in Sugworth Lane.

February 2005

  • Inspector Chris Farmer attended and outlined the policy planning taking place at Thames Valley Police. The Parish Council was pleased to make contact with Inspector Farmer and took the opportunity to raise matters of concern: the position in relation to the youths who undertake large-scale vandalism at the sports pavilion; and the problem with motorcyclists along the towpath. No immediate information was available, but Inspector Farmer undertook to look into these two matters.
  • PC Jeff Wheeble is leaving his post as Area Beat Officer in the middle of March. A successor is being appointed and it is hoped there will be no gap between appointments.
  • Parish Council is still trying to ascertain reason for noise at party in the autumn in Chistlehampton. South Oxfordshire DC is having difficulty getting a reply from the police, and is chasing this.
  • Some residents in Foxborough Road and Catharine Close are fighting to get their sewer adopted after thinking for several decades that it was. Despite the environmental health problems involved, it is surprising that even modern sewers are not always adopted; planners are only concerned that the system is adequate to cope with the flows, not that they are of adoptable standard.
  • Please remember to give your views on the South East Plan. A questionnaire, Your Shout, is going to be delivered to all households through the South East England Regional Assembly. Replies are required by 15 April 2005. Website: www.southeast-ra.gov.uk/southeastplan
  • Halcrow, which is undertaking the Abingdon Integrated Transport Study, held an exhibition in the village on 9 February 2005. Halcrow is now collating replies for a ‘sifting’ meeting with ABITS on 17 March 2005. A formal meeting to discuss the report will be held in August, and there will be consultation with the Parish Council before then (date not yet known).
  • The Parish Council will be discussing the possibility of additional lighting on the road to Lower Radley in April – please let your Councillors have your views by the 21 March 2005.
  • The Parish Council considered seven planning applications over the last four weeks. The most controversial one relates to the development of three terraced houses on the land next to the Bowyer Arms, and the fact that the developers have asked the Parish Council for permission to move the bus shelter. The Parish Council had no objection to the application for one house on this site, but feels that the present plan is overdevelopment and out of character with the area. In addition, it feels that the bus shelter should not be moved for safety reasons.
  • Condition of footways: No response has been received from Oxfordshire County Council about which footways will be improved in the Parish.
  • Best Kept Village: The Parish Council has decided to enter the Best Kept Village Competition. The preliminary round takes place between 30 April and 15 May, with the final round taking place from 28 May to 12 June 2005. Notices will be posted around the village to remind everyone of the event.

January 2005

  • The Parish Council is trying to ascertain reason for noise at party in the autumn in Chistlehampton. South Oxfordshire DC is having difficulty finding out what happened.
  • Oxfordshire Blue Plaques: two names have been put forward – George Butterworth and Bishop Gore. Can you think of any other famous people who have lived in Radley and been dead for more than 20 years?
  • Parish Council has asked for a meeting with Oxfordshire County Council (OCC) to discuss the possibility of a footway over the railway bridge on the road to Lower Radley. This has also been raised with Halcrow, which is compiling a list of requirements in several parishes around Abingdon.
  • Parish Council has been asked to consider the South East Plan. The public’s views are also required. Go to www.southeast-ra.gov.uk/southeastplan or complete a questionnaire which will be available locally
  • Is additional lighting required on the road down to Lower Radley? The Parish Council would welcome your views.
  • Garden Competition 2005 – the garden competition will be held on Saturday 9 July. More information will be available later.
  • Condition of footways: OCC is considering priorities across the county and the result should be known shortly. The Parish Council has been pressing for improvements along Church Road/Foxborough Road, Sugworth Lane and Stonhouse Crescent.
  • Save our StreetsWI and English Heritage are asking members to carry out an audit and give details to elected representatives. Do not wait for the questionnaire; let your Parish Councillors know of any areas which you think could be improved.

Permanent link to this article: http://www.radleyvillage.org.uk/highlights-of-meetings-in-2005/