↑ Return to History

Print this Page

History of the Railway

Since it was built in 1844, the railway through Radley has had an important influence on the village and its surroundings. Radley Station was established in 1873 to serve Radley College and the branch line (now dismantled) to Abingdon.boundary_marker_large
 
 
GWR railway boundary marker at what is now the entrance to Lower Radley Mobile Homes Park showing the 1900 boundary of the station.
 
 
 

For photographs and more information on the history of the railway and Radley Station, click on the following links:

 

Other links

 

Permanent link to this article: http://www.radleyvillage.org.uk/ourvillage/history/history-of-the-railway/

The Railway & Radley

The following is a slightly edited and updated version of an article produced by David Heath at about the time of the Millennium and which itself is an updated version of the one that appears in the 1994 Radley Rail Gala souvenir programme. The Railway & RADLEYby David Heath …

View page »

ambridge2

Charles Ambridge – the first Radley Stationmaster

Charles Ambridge, formerly a railway policeman, became Stationmaster at Radley when the station opened in September 1873, a post which he held until his retirement in 1897. For more information about Charles Ambridge, see the article by Jean Deller, his great grand-daughter, in the 1994 Rail Gala souvenir programme.       Charles Ambridge, Stationmaster …

View page »