↑ Return to History

Print this Page

The Vicarage

vicarage6

The vicarage dates back to the 13th century, with 15th century modifications. It was originally a hunting lodge used by the Tudor kings, Henry VII and Henry VIII, and is the oldest ‘occupied’ vicarage in England. It still possesses much of its original character with many wooden beams and low ceilings and an impressive 15th century oak doorway. A red brick extension was added in 1868/9 by vicar William Wood but, in the late 1980s, this was made detached and sold to Radley College.

Permanent link to this article: http://www.radleyvillage.org.uk/ourvillage/history/the-vicarage/