↑ Return to Our Village

Tour

Permanent link to this article: http://www.radleyvillage.org.uk/ourvillage/tour/

village_hall

Gooseacre

Gooseacre refers to the farm that lies to the south of the main part of the village, and is the name given to the road that accesses some of the village’s main amenities – the Village Hall, play area, sportsground and pavilion. Click on an image below for more information.

View page »

Bowyer_Arms

The Village Centre

Click on an image for more information. [Map]     The Bowyer Arms     The Railway Station     The old village shop (now demolished)     The Post Office (now …

View page »

church_3

The Church and its environs

Click on an image for more information. [Map]     The Church of St James the Great, Radley     The Church in winter     The Church Room  

View page »

mansion

Radley College and Lodge Hill

For more information, click on an image, or visit the Radley College website. [Map]     The Mansion House. Formerly known as Radley Hall, this impressive house was built during 1721-1727 by Sir John Stonhouse, Bart., MP, Comptroller of the Royal Household (see 

View page »

sand_plant

Thrupp Lane sand and gravel workings and the RWE Npower PFA Disposal Site

The land to the south of the village has been, for many years, a source of alluvial sand and gravel for the construction industry. Many of the lakes that formed as a result of the workings were in-filled using surplus pulverised fuel ash (PFA) from Didcot Power Station. The PFA was mixed …

View page »

bakers_close

Lower Radley

Lower Radley represents the oldest part of the village (apart from the church itself) and occupies land some distance from the church between the railway and the River Thames. Thatched cottages, timber barns and farm buildings, of various ages, nestle in a very rural setting amid paddocks and arable pastures. Despite many old buildings, some …

View page »

thames_2

River Thames and beyond

The habitable part of Lower Radley is bounded by the flood plain of the Thames, which runs along the eastern boundary of the parish, though there are a few dwellings, built to withstand flooding, alongside the river. Radley boathouse serves the rowing needs of Radley College and is also used by some Oxford colleges. …

View page »

A34_N

North Radley

At the north end of Radley, open pasture merges into woodland. Bagley Wood covers much of Kennington to the north. Within Radley itself, lies Radley Great Wood, a smaller separate area of woodland on the SE corner of Bagley wood. Public footpath F7 skirts its western edge, and a number of paths extend into the …

View page »

The Radley Lakes

View page »