↑ Return to Our Village

Print this Page

Traditions

The Village Emblem
Radley_Emblemlarge
The village emblem is a modern drawing of the heraldic shield seen on the Stonhouse monument in Radley Parish Church. The Stonhouse family’s long association with the village is described in Radley History Club’s book, Radley Manor and Village: a thousand year story. The shield also forms the emblem of the Clerk of the Green Cloth. A more recent tradition is the Good Friday Walk.

The monument was commissioned by Lady Elizabeth Stonhouse in memory of her husband Sir William and her son Sir John who both died in 1632. Effigies of Sir William and Lady Elizabeth lie above the chest tomb, with Sir John kneeling to the right of them.

The shield appears above the Latin inscription on the monument and on the stone plaque on the adjourning wall. The blue hawks and black band with a leopard’s face between two stars are from the Stonhouse coat of arms granted in 1556. The origin of the red crabs and chevron is not known. One possibility is that they come from the coat of arms of Lady Elizabeth’s family, the Powells of Fulham. Another is that they belong to her son Sir John. The red hand in the middle is the sign of a baronet – a rank acquired by Sir William in 1628.

 

Stonhouse monument (click to enlarge)

 

Close-up of stone plaque

Permanent link to this article: http://www.radleyvillage.org.uk/ourvillage/traditions/

Radley Clerk of the Green Cloth

Clerk of the Green Cloth was the position held by court official George Stonhouse when he acquired the rights to the Manor of Radley from the Crown in 1560. His post would have involved arranging royal journeys and helping to administer the Royal Household. In later times the office fell into disuse. In 1988, David …

View page »