↑ Return to Traditions

Print this Page

Radley Clerk of the Green Cloth

Clerk of the Green Cloth was the position held by court official George Stonhouse when he acquired the rights to the Manor of Radley from the Crown in 1560. His post would have involved arranging royal journeys and helping to administer the Royal Household.
In later times the office fell into disuse. In 1988, David Beckett, organist and choirmaster of Radley Church, obtained Royal consent to revive the title as an honorary post. The holder, whose duties include fund-raising activities for the benefit of church and village, is elected by the parishioners of Radley every two years.

Past and present holders of the office include:

Radley_Emblemsmall

Permanent link to this article: http://www.radleyvillage.org.uk/ourvillage/traditions/radley-clerk-of-the-green-cloth/